ECA has functioned as a school serving the International community in Caracas, Venezuela for 80 years
Throughout this time ECA has provided an excellent education and shaped the lives of many students and families. ECA is recognised as one of the most prestigious schools in South America and our mission statement is more relevant than ever. ECA is currently accredited by the Council for International Schools (CIS) and the Middle States Association (MSA), as well as approved to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program (IBDP). We will continue to be the learning community that nurtures students to excel in a trusting and enduring environment.
For the 80th Anniversary Celebrations being held during April 9 to 14, 2018 the ECA Technology team constructed an Anniversary website which summarises the story of a school that started in September 1937. Initially a class of only 12 students, with three teachers, occupied a house in the Country Club area of Caracas (Campo Alegre). The original 12 students studied in one big room under the directions of three mothers: Mrs. Hand, Mrs. Mayoral and Mrs. Boylan. The Calvert System was used, which gave the school its first name, The Calvert School.
By 1957 Escuela Campo Alegre had turned 20 years old. The campus in Las Mercedes was well established and had already gone through many significant renovations. Addition of rooms on the second floor of the main building, the completion of the first school auditorium, the construction of a new primary classroom building, a new art-music-recreation building, enlargement of athletic areas and playgrounds and the beautification of the grounds through planting flowers and grass.
Other important changes also took place in the curriculum of the school, increased course offerings, the addition of a comprehensive Spanish program in primary and elementary classes, the acquisition of new teaching and learning aids and a tremendous increase in school enrollment. After 20 years of operation in 1957 ECA was becoming the recognised educational institution it is known as today. The campus in Las Mercedes was well established and had already experienced many significant renovations. Addition of rooms on the second floor of the main building, the completion of the first school auditorium, the construction of a new primary classroom building, a new art-music-recreation building, enlargement of athletic areas and playgrounds and the beautification of the grounds through planting flowers and grass.
Other important changes also took place in the curriculum, increased course offerings, the addition of a comprehensive Spanish program in the primary and elementary years, the acquisition of new teaching and learning aids and a tremendous increase in school enrollment.
The twenty second of May, 1942 was a proud day for Escuela Campo Alegre. The first graduation consisted of four matriculating students. They were Rebeca Abadi, Marilyn Conway, Emma Brassard and Elizabeth Ann Wheeler. It was such a proud occasion and a full graduation ceremony was held despite the small size of the class.
As the number of families interested in an American style of education grew, so did the school. By 1945 there were over 175 students attending. The orginal Campo Alegre location campus had to be remodeled to provide fifteen classrooms, a library and an office.
By 1948 land was purchased in Las Mercedes to construct a new building. The ever increasing number of students required more room for potential growth. More and more families wanted to join ECA. Soon there was a need to add to the new building in Las Mercedes. Thus, in 1954 a further addition was completed and other additions were made in 1957 and 1969. Finally the present building was completed, which included a 25,000 volume library, 2 fully equipped science labs, a 630 seat theater, a computer room equipped with 30 Apple IIE computers, a new gymnasium, 2 large sports fields and 3 basketballs courts.
For many years it was obvious that an important need existed for an English based international education in Caracas. As the English speaking community continued to grow, so did ECA. Word spread and many families from many countries far and wide enrolled at ECA. The population increased to over 1000 students representing more that 50 countries.
In recent years as the international business community in Caracas, Venezula has decreased so has the student enrollment. In 2018 over 200 students and 25 nationalities were represented. ECA continues to be a learning community that nurtures students to excel in a trusting and enduring environment.
Through the years we have received many great news about the success of our Alumni. Their personal and professional accomplishments bring us joy and pride. This time we want to celebrate the success of alumni Daniel Pacheco, Antonio Lopez, Andres Pacheco and Joy Ross-Jones. These alumni represent the success of our students and prove that the education they acquired at ECA helped them build strong characters and prepared them for a bright future.
2016 - Present
Very happy to be the ECA Superintendent during ECA’s 80th Anniversary Year. ECA Is Here to Stay!
2012 - 2016
2009 - 2012
2002 - 2009
1998 - 2002
1996 - 1998
1991 - 1996
1986 - 1991
1964 - 1986
1961 - 1964
1957 - 1961
1951 - 1957
Superintendent 1949 - 1951
Superintendent 1947 - 1949
Superintendent 1943 - 1947
Superintendent 1941 - 1943
Superintendent 1938 - 1941
Founder of ECA
Campo Alegre opened its doors in Septermber 1937. A class of 12 students with 3 teachers occupied a house in the Country Club area or Caracas. Mr. Carlos Heny, founder of the school agreed to permanently lease a large plot of land in the area known as Campo Alegre, from which the school acquired its name.
On May 22, 1942 a full graduation ceremony was held for the first graduating class which consisted of four students. In 1945 the entire building had to be remodeled to provide 15 classrooms for 175 students. By 1948 land was purchased in Las Mercedes to construct a new building. In 1954 a further addition was completed for the ever increasing number of students.
In 1969 the demolition of the original Greek facade in Las Mercedes was completed. Expansion and completion of the present facade. Finally in 1979 the building was completed, which included a 25,000 volume library, 2 fully equipped science labs, 1 computer roo equipped with 30 Apple IIE computers, a new gymnasium, 2 sports fields and 3 basketball courts.
In 1981 the 630 seat theater was inaugurated. In 1988 the High School 3rd floor wing was built. The Early Childhood building was completed in 1994, welcoming the Pre-Kinder, Kider and 1st grade students. In 1997 the Campo Dome, the Library Media Center and the Multipurpose Elementary annex were built.